Apostrophe Hall of Shame

The apostrophe in my name does cause a whole load of hassle.

Luckily for me, as a programmer, it makes me more likely to understand the frustration people must experience when they sign up on Internet forms and the thing fails.

These can include:

  • Validation errors kicking out my perfectly legal full name.
  • Database INSERT errors as the the apostrophe is the termination character.
  • Insufficient digits for my perfectly usable Andorran mobile number.
  • Messed up character when I enter the name of our house in the Pyrenees called 'Chalet Eché'.
Now living in Iberia with all the accents and other non-English characters, I can see we got a long way to go.

A lot of sites make it damn hard to contact them in any meaningful way so as a little helpful reminder here are some of the more annoying form breaks I've discovered as I surf the web.  I suspect a techie looking at the web server logs is more likely to pick up this post, rather than a customer support person who probably wouldn't know what I was on about.

Apostrophe Hall of Shame 

Instra.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why does Premiere Pro "Sequence from clip" on MP4 and then "Match Sequence" result in a massive AVI file?

Churchill's Reaction to Eisenhower's Speech at the English Speaking Union 1951

Randsomeware and blackmail crimes to be solved in the future like DNA genetic finger prints can help now?